Sunday, April 29, 2012

1940 Census: Keenan and Leary

In my first post about the 1940 census, I had looked at the records of my paternal grandparents and great grandparents (with a lot of help from my uncle). I have now searched and found my maternal grandparents and great grandparents in the 1940 census.

Here, the occupation information isn't quite as exciting. Walter and Ida Leary have no occupation listed, though we know from previous census records that Walter was previously a farmer.

Helen and Hubert Keenan are married and have their first child Michael. They are living on James Keenan's (Hubert's dad) farm. Hubert and James are listed as farmers.

What is interesting is the location. I had always understood that the farm my mom grew up on, the farm that Hubert, Helen, and Michael are living at, was not their father's farm. However, it seems that it is. The 1940 census entry for Hubert says he was working as a farmer "on father's farm". And James' location in the previous census records has not changed.

Family lore has it that Hubert's brother (Bernard) got the "good farm" in Helena. I think we had assumed that meant it was the family farm. However, it seems now that the Helena farm might have been better, but was not the family farm. Instead, Hubert, Helen, and Michael all lived on the family farm and took it over when James aged and then passed away. This is the same farm that my mother grew up on until her dad retired from farming (due to heart conditions) and they moved into North Lawrence.

I just find it interesting to now realize that the farm was in the family much longer than I had realized. Next time we drive by the farm, it will feel a little different knowing that it served three (at least) generations of farmers.

No comments:

Post a Comment